NSW & TAS Food Safety Regulations

NSW & TAS Food Safety Regulations

NSW Food Authority: Requirements for NSW Food Businesses


Please check with your local government authority your food business classification and compliance requirements.

There are essentially 2 groups of food businesses in NSW:

1. Food businesses that need to notify NSW Food Authority

Note: This includes producers of olive products.

Most businesses that sell food in NSW must officially notify food standards enforcement agencies, including the NSW Food Authority and their local council, of their food business details before commencing business. This is required by national food law under Food Safety Standard 3.2.2.

Note: This includes producers and sellers of olive products

Examples of businesses which need to notify the NSW Food Authority to include:

  • Retail food outlets (other than butchers or seafood retailers that also process seafood; see the list of food businesses required to hold a NSW Food Authority Licence)
  • Businesses which sell food as a smaller part of their business, including corner stores, cinemas, petrol stations and sporting facilities
  • Food transport, storage or wholesale businesses
  • Food stallholders at regular, temporary or one-off events
  • School canteens
  • Mobile food outlets
  • Food manufacturers that do not hold an Authority licence
  • Child-care facilities that provide food and do not hold an Authority licence, and
  • Importers and exporters of food or food ingredients

2. Food businesses required to hold a NSW Food Authority licence

Note: This group is unlikely to include producers of olive products.

Certain sectors of the NSW food industry are regulated under the Food Regulation 2015. These comprise:

  • Businesses that handle or process meat
  • Dairy producers, factories and vendors
  • Foodservice to vulnerable persons in hospitals and aged care facilities
  • Businesses that handle seafood and shellfish
  • High-priority plant product businesses (eg sprouts)
  • The egg industry

These businesses must hold a NSW Food Authority licence to operate.

Department of Health

According to Tasmanian Department of Health advice, olive products are either P3-N (Notify), for olive oil or P1 (Register) for table olives

With the following inspection schedule:

This means TAS table olive business need to Register with their local council and be subject to inspections every 3-12 months depending on compliance history.

Noting TAS authorities have completely missed the point that (non-acidified) flavoured olive oil products made using whole fruits or vegetables have a potentially higher food safety risk than olive oil or acidified table olives!